Garlicky kale, sweet and hearty cherry tomatoes, and a good freshly grated parmesan cheese take this humble pasta dish into weeknight staple territory, just make sure to skip the shaker and opt for the good stuff.
- 1/2 pound Linguine (or other favorite pasta)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 small shallot, diced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and finely chopped
- 2 cups fresh kale, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese*
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
*Substitute parmesan cheese for pecorino, feta, or even goat cheese, for a creamier dish.
Bring a large stockpot of salted water to a boil.
Meanwhile, set a large sauté pan over medium high heat until hot then add olive oil, garlic, shallots, crushed red pepper and a pinch of salt and sweat until aromatic, about 3 to 5 minutes. Next add your sun-dried and cherry tomatoes and sauté until cherry tomatoes are just beginning to blister, another 3 to 5 minutes, then fold in your kale and continue to sauté until just wilted.
Add linguine to boiling water and cook according to package instructions until just al dente. Strain immediately and make sure to reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water.
Add cooked linguine and pasta water to your sauté pan and cook over medium high heat until pasta water has reduced by at least half, about 3 to 5 minutes, then remove from heat. Fold in parmesan, tossing continuously until a sauce has formed and the pasta is thoroughly coated. Season to taste with kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper then divide evenly on plates or in bowls and garnish with additional parmesan if desired. Serve immediately.