Watermelon and yellow mustard? We had our reservations about this increasingly popular “flavor challenge” but ultimately, and we hesitate to admit this…it works? Especially in harmony with our sweet fragrant basil in this fun and fresh flavor-packed summer caprese salad featuring our juicy cherry tomatoes, crisp mini-cucumbers, and peppery arugula that will both surprise and delight your guests.
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups sliced mini-cucumber (about 4 mini-cucumbers)
- 3 cups watermelon, melon-balled
- 2 1/2 cups arugula
- 1/2 shallot, thinly sliced and rinsed in cold water until crisp
- 1/2 cup torn basil leaves
For the dressing:
- 5 large leaves of basil
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 3 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
Combine all dressing ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the salad ingredients and the desired amount of dressing and toss thoroughly. Serve immediately.