In this powerful and vibrant salad, we roast tofu with sweet potatoes, curry, and coconut oil then toss with citrus, maple, and herb marinated apples and cashews for a refreshing, fragrant, and balanced bite. But the real star of this recipe is our sweet Lana’i orange pepper which has all the fruity floral notes of a habanero chili without any of the heat.
For the roasted tofu and sweet potatoes
- 1 pound extra firm tofu
- 3 medium sweet potato, cut into 1-inch wedges
- 1/4 cup liquid coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
For the salad
- 3 honey crisp apples, diced
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 ½ lemons)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch fresh scallions, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup toasted cashews, coarsely chopped
- 4 cups rainbow swiss chard, rinsed well and patted dry, chopped
- 1 cup Sweet Lana’i Orange Peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 cups, Cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 avocados, diced
Preheat oven to 425°F.
To prepare tofu, tear into bite size pieces or cut into 1/2-inch cubes and place on cutting board lined with a clean kitchen towel or paper towels. Cover with another clean kitchen towel or paper towels, set a baking sheet on top and then something heavy such as a cast iron skillet or large book and allow to press for at least 15 minutes.
Meanwhile combine apples, lime juice, lemon juice, maple syrup, craisins, cilantro, and scallions in a large mixing bowl then place in refrigerator to marinate.
Combine sweet potatoes, pressed tofu, coconut oil, curry powder, and kosher salt in large mixing bowl and toss to combine. Spread sweet potato/tofu mixture out on large non-stick or foil-lined sheet pan in even layer and roast until sweet potatoes are cooked through and tofu is crispy, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
Add sweet potato/tofu mixture, toasted cashews, rainbow swiss chard, sweet Lana’i orange peppers, and cherry tomatoes to marinated apples and toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Divide salad evenly in bowls or arrange on platter and serve immediately.