Sticky-sweet and smoky, this simple Hawaiian-style barbeque chicken will be your new go to summer griller, served in a crisp lettuce wrap with creamy avocado and a piquant pepper salsa for a fresh and balanced bite.
For the barbeque chicken:
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 8 garlic cloves, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 inch knob of fresh ginger, peeled and minced (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup gluten-free tamari
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
For the red pepper Pico de Gallo:
- 1/2 red onion, diced and rinsed thoroughly in cold water until crisp
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 Roma tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 8 sweet Lana’i red peppers or red Fresno chiles, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 head butter leaf lettuce, core removed, leaves divided, washed and patted dry
- 1 avocado, sliced
In a blender or food processor combine garlic, ginger, ketchup, brown sugar, gluten-free tamari, rice wine vinegar, blend until smooth and reserve 1 cup of sauce for garnish. In a large mixing bowl combine the chicken and remaining sauce and stir to evenly coat then cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
Combine the red onion, garlic, white vinegar, lime juice, and kosher salt in a medium mixing bowl, stir thoroughly, and let marinate for 10 to 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat a well-oiled grill or cast-iron grill pan until hot. Grill chicken over medium-high heat for 4 to 6 minutes per side (or until thermometer reads 165°F).
Combine the marinated onion mixture, Roma tomatoes, Lana’i or Fresno chiles, and cilantro in the bowl of a food processor and pulse to desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
Slice chicken into thin strips and serve in a butter lettuce wrap with avocado, red pepper Pico, and reserved sauce.