No luau would be complete without this quintessential Hawaiian side dish of diced salted salmon, tomatoes, sweet onion, and fresh scallion. Best served as chilled as possible to offset the hot island sun.
- 1 medium sweet onion, small diced and rinsed thoroughly in cold water until crisp
- 3 medium vine-ripened Sensei Farms tomatoes, small diced
- 5 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1-pound salted salmon, small diced
- Chili pepper water or tabasco, to taste (optional)
Combine all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix and massage until well incorporated. Chill thoroughly before serving.
If salted salmon is unavailable, combine 1 pound of fresh salmon (skin removed) with 1/4 cup of salt. Shake off and discard any excess salt and place covered salmon in the refrigerator to cure for 12 to 24 hours depending on how salty you’d like it. Remove from the refrigerator, rinse off salt and pat dry, and small dice.